Did anyone hear the benediction at the inauguration today--given by the famous civil rights activist Rev. Joseph Lowery? I loved most of it--especially when Rev. Lowery broke into verse here and there (which sometimes I think is inappropriate during prayer but then again, if he read a poem nobody would say squat. So I found it awesome that he took a piece from his own tradition's style and used it well.
But then he got to the last line:
Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.
OK...now I'm upset. So white people are the only ones called to the carpet here? White people are the only ones who deal out injustice?
Rev. Lowery is a civil rights activist and I'm sure for every white person that has been offended there are 25 black people who match them--but still...I thought this was an offensive statement that if he made it any other day of the year he'd be shouted down as being insensitive.
I'll backpedal a bit here and say that I'm sure the good Rev. Lowery meant no offense to white people--but I do think all Americans regardless of their color try to embrace what it right. By the way, CNN exit polls show that 43% of white people voted for President Obama. Are the other 57% racists? I think not.
Can I get an Amen?
It seems so...check out the comments here