Oct 13, 2006

Goodbye Aunt Sis

I buried my mother's sister this morning. I'm such an invisible person to my mother's side of the family. I have no cohort group since most of the family members are my sister's age (16 years my senior--I'm sure she loves me saying this) or they are the children of my cousins who are 10-15 years younger than me.

To be fair, I have four cousins who are close to my age. My cousin Mary is a year older, Ricky and Stacey are a year and I believe three years younger than I am respectively. Lou-Ann was 2 years ahead of me at the local High School. She possibly was the only one that I had a lot in common with and she's clearly also the friendliest.

It's kind of a shame...I don't really know my extended family and nor do I feel invited to get to know them. Quite frankly, I don't care to really. I don't have a lot in common with them. Hey. ya can't pick your relatives.

I think my mom was offended that the family chose to have a prayer service and burial instead of a full funeral. A Capuchin came by and did a very brief service consisting of an Our father and his best attempt at a eulogy (and not a very good one I might add). I offered to do the prayer service myself but was declined. Ah to be a lay minister shunned by his own family. I really understand what Jesus meant when he stated that a prophet is not honored in his native land. He wasn't kidding.

I updated my "dead file" today. It's a file I keep in case of my accidental death which states how I'd like my funeral to proceed (I selected preachers and presiders, ministers of the word and eucharist, and also keep a running list of people who should not be admitted to the funeral home! And priests who should be nowhere near the altar as well!

It's kind of morbid...but I value ritual and if I'm not going to be around to "produce" this...I'm not living it in some half-wits hands who'll take advantage of the grief of my family. In short, easy-going me has stated: "You will execute this liturgy exactly as I have stated."

I'm so picky...even from beyond.

No comments:

Googling God

Googling God
Buy Your Copy Now!