Feb 1, 2009

Congrats Steeltown


For the very Catholic Rooney family who own the Pittsburgh Steelers they will now need to add one more knick-nack to their shelf. A sixth Super Bowl Title to the Men from Steeltown gives Pittsburgh a record number. Sheepishly, a reporter asked Mr. Rooney if he had room for one more trophy.

He replied quickly, "We'll make room."

Paul has a great profile of Dan Rooney, the patriarch of the family here.

Santonio Holmes made a great catch to seal the deal but a valiant effort by the Cardinals and by Kurt Warner the QB who found WR Larry Fitzgerald several times to keep this one close and even a near upset.



We profiled Warner on BustedHalo some time ago so I thought y'all might be interested in re-visiting that article here.

Warner’s Christian faith manifests itself in a different way on the field. Since winning the Super Bowl and being a two-time league MVP very early on in his career, Warner has struggled since 2003 to get playing time with both the New York Giants and the Arizona Cardinals. Throughout it all he’s handled both the extreme highs and lows with extraordinary class and grace. Off the field, his charity, First Things First, is involved in projects ranging from Special Olympics to helping single mothers.

Warner recently sat down with BustedHalo to discuss football, faith and what the future holds.

BustedHalo: As someone in the public eye who is so openly religious, how do you deal with the pressure and temptation of being a professional athlete and the lifestyle that comes with it?

Kurt Warner: One of the fortunate things about my career—although most people see it as a detriment—is that it took me so long to get to the NFL. I didn’t start my first game until I was 28 years old. The blessing is that God prepared me for that. God had placed me in a lot of different situations, He had set up my priorities, so when I did get here, I knew why I was here. I knew God placed me here for a purpose. When I went before the Billy Graham crusade in 1999, it was an opportunity to put me out there, but it also kept me accountable. People say, you know it’s a lot of pressure when you step out there and say you’re a Christian, but at the same time, when you do that in front of millions of people, you know everybody’s going to be watching. So, every time there’s a temptation, every time I’m put in a situation that could be difficult, it holds me accountable to what I represent, to what my priorities are, and to the kind of person I want to be.


So while Warner didn't win the big game, he can certainly hold his head up high.

For many reasons, indeed.

No comments:

Googling God

Googling God
Buy Your Copy Now!