Apr 1, 2009

Anger in the Church


Fr. Mark Mossa, S.J. highlights this morning's blogging as he gets the first tip o' the hat when his experience of the readings at mass brought him to an unexpected place of anger.

I realized that there was no way around it--today's readings definitely had something to say about injustice against women. To avoid the issue, as some might have, seemed to me to be ignoring the elephant in the room. Today's readings clearly had something to say to use about gender justice, and the injustice perpetrated against women by abuse of power and sinful double standards. That's what I spoke about in my homily. I admitted that I myself haven't exactly been the best advocate of gender justice, and have been known to roll my eyes at academic discussions of the evils of patriarchy, but that it was clear in these two readings that gender justice is something we are meant to be concerned about. We are called, like Daniel, not to stand idly be but to speak up when we see injustice being perpetrated against women. And, we are challenged by Jesus to examine the ways in which our own attitudes and opinions ignore such abuses of power, and conform to sinful double standards. And while we can often point to more egregious examples of injustice and violence against women in other countries, that shouldn't prevent us from recognizing that there is plenty happening here, right in our own communities.

Honestly, this was a bit out of my comfort zone, and so I was pretty nervous. I wasn't sure how people would react. I was pleased with the homily, though it took a lot out of me. And, as I reflected for a few moments afterward, I was confident that what I had said indeed reflected God's concern.

And that was why I was so appalled and angered by the prayers of the faithful!


Read the rest here to find out why.

And Bishop Robert Lynch of St. Petersburg, Florida gets the second nod via David Gibson's blog over at Beliefnet.

Early 'markers' [of Obama's record on the life issues] are not encouraging in this regard but hope needs to spring eternal and while Notre Dame may have acted way too early and too generously, I am more alarmed that the rhetoric being employed is so uncivil and venomous that it weakens the case we place before our fellow citizens, alienates young college-age students who believe the older generation is behaving like an angry child and they do not wish to be any part of that, and ill-serves the cause of life. Notre Dame has in the past and continues to give this local Church fine, professional and very Catholic women and men who both know and live out their faith. Most of them I know are ardently pro-life and like myself are probably disappointed with their alma mater. They and I will choose to convey our sadness to the Board of Trustees and Administration in a calm and dignified manner.


Today let us pray for an end to such venom in the church and that we can act civilly towards one another and towards people who disagree with us. While there are things that we should be angry about, how we channel that anger into something positive and life giving seems to be where we are called.

1 comment:

St Edwards Blog said...

I learned of Fr. Mark Mossa's blog through your own and thought that was a great post.

I also read about Bishop Lynch. On another blog I did speak in favor of his words and was summarily dismissed by other commenters.

*Deep sigh*

Fran

Googling God

Googling God
Buy Your Copy Now!