Sep 26, 2009

NY Catechetical Day


So I got to conduct a workshop on technology and ministry for the NY Archdiocese's Catechetical Day. A true honor as a son of the Archdiocese (raised in Yonkers, NY). My big thrill was hearing Archbishop Dolan preach and getting to meet him in person. Fr James Martin, SJ and I were chatting and he wanted to go and say hi to the Archbishop whom he has met before so I tagged along seizing the opportunity. I introduced myself as one of the presenters and I have to say Archbishop Dolan really does make you feel like you are the only one in the room who is important to him while he's talking with you.

Archbishop Dolan: "Hey Mike, thanks so much for being here""

ME: "Oh sure, please, thanks for inviting me."

Archbishop Dolan: "So what are you talking about here today?"

Me; "Technology, ministry and young adults. I brought you my book too on the subject. I'll leave it with Sr. Joan (who is the director of catechetics for the Archdiocese)."

Archbishop Dolan: "Thanks so much. Hey, y'know they keep telling me that I should do the ipod thing and facebook. What do you think?"

Me: "You absolutely should!"

Archbishop Dolan: "Well I don't know, I'm kind of a novice at this."

Me: "Well...this is stuff is pretty new so most people have been novices and now are doing well with it. Look if you need some help I'd be happy to give you a crash course."


He proceeded to take me up on the offer so we'll make some plans and he also invited me to be a guest on his radio show.
OK, I'm not impressed all that easily but that was pretty smooth. Just a nice man. I'm off to call his producer now.

2 comments:

Diary of a Hopeful Starving Student said...

Mike, I think that Archbishop Dolan is a truly remarkable soul. We miss him here in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. Our loss is your incredibly great gain. :)

Diary of a Hopeful Starving Student

Fran said...

That is so great Mike! I was so happy to read about this.

And you were chatting with James Martin, SJ - he is really one of my heroes and I hope to meet him one day!

Googling God

Googling God
Buy Your Copy Now!